Monday, March 31, 2003

hey boys 'n grrls, please don't sink ya academic teeth into this story i wrote. it's just for entertainment. twas just an example of fictional writing(250w) to accompany a theoretical analysis of the Genre Sci-Fi. It's totally Cyberpunk! I think i'm gonna include it in my major hyper-fiction. It's called "cortex overhaul".

-----------
Waaaaagh!!! My head hurts! Not now, i don't have TIME for this! gotta get it sorted! I hate it when my memory crashes. Last time I had memory crash was because I got that cheep cheep RAM from that Shifty Market-man. I didn’t expect M-RAM(stands for Mnemonic Random Access Memory) to crash. The Cy-Doctor upsold me to M-RAM for this particular reason. He said “M-RAM’s never flipped”.

-- I’ve had electronic memory since I was fully grown at the age of 17. The Cy-Doc wouldn’t give it to me any earlier. I mean, it’s safe as houses but he was right not to add hardware to a growing brain. --

It takes me only 1hour to concentrate my thinking to my only-human memory and find my way to the Cy-Doc’s surgery. No waiting, the Cy-Doc owes me quite a few favors… The overwhelming feeling of stupidity and slowness flows through me as the Cy-Doc removes the faulty h-ware. It's only after he loads the drivers that operate my new RAM do I realize where I am and why. Maybe it was the shock of lost time or maybe it was the pain of using my old brain, but I never wanted to be without hardwired RAM again. The disorientation was complete, my old brain wouldn’t be able to keep up in the fast pace world of Cy-Life.

Sliding my body off the slab in Cy-Doc’s Lab after the painless cortex overhaul, I start thinking about “Why”. [What happens when memory crashes? It’s nothing but Zeros and Ones flying in the same electronic directions.] Best not to think about, I’ve got a job to stop.
-----------

I'm gonna expand the whole "where'd that data go?" ending, to add more of a philosophical edge to it. This dude's gonna be one off the side characters. I'm makin the chars then see where the story goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home